Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Long weekend without water

I got alittle perspective this weekend about going without. Saturday night was came home to find out that we had no water. We share a well with 8 houses on our block and something went wrong and there were speculations that we may have run out of water in the well.

I was in shock and my mind started racing thinking about how we would ever afford to drill a new well.

Sunday morning J went to an emergency meeting to get the details while I trudged to the gym to shower. The neighors had called a well co. and we were hoping for the best. The well co. came later in the day (Sunday of all days) and worked, by 3:30 I heard the toilets filling back up... success?!

Well my neighbor called and said that it was likely fixed but we needed to wait 8h for the tank to refill. J had gone to his mom's and I was home feeling miserable with a cold/allergies. I ended up going over to my neighbors and visiting for a while and we all felt hopeful.

Until the morning. When we tried the water and nothing happened. Turned out Sunday night the well co. came back because something else was wrong so Monday we all played the waiting game again.

My heart sank.

Its hard being pregnant and having to pee every 30s and I can't flush, wash my hands nothing! That was my woe-is-me moment. However, we made the best of it, we grilled, we bought water and paper goods and even had a little cookout with friends yesterday.

Last night we got the call that the well was fixed for sure and we could use water sparingly to shower and flush for the next 24h. Feels good to shower at home. I have a mountain of dishes waiting for me when I get home though.

I am hopeful this didn't cost an arm and a leg, I think our dues have covered it but I won't know till tonight. It just gives me perspective. Especially about how important water is and just how much we use! From filling the dog's bowls to washing hands, watering the garden, dishes and laundry. We as a society are pretty wasteful with water and it sure makes me appreciate what we have now!

No comments: