Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Speaking of growing things


So I haven't talked about my garden in a while. I have to say I am going through withdrawl because its this time of year that I am usually out in the field planting... this is my field plot from last year.
Awww these little seedlings hold so much promise! Well despite being pregnant I would not have have plants in the field this year anyway as my field research was completed last fall. However, I would have been out their planting the breeding material for my advisor.
So, I took solace in that I could plant my own garden. Well at least I was able to weed much of it over Memorial day and J put down the mulch. I put in the tomatoes, swiss chard, beans, peas, kale, and morning glories but J had to finish for me because my back was screaming. I am talking constant back spasms for 4 days! Eeek! So he put in the zucchini, cucumbers, nasturtiums and pumpkins.
I still have more to put in but much of it is coming up. It is a satisfying feeling to grow stuff for myself. At the same time, I cut corners. I should have ammended the soil better and put in drip irrigation and spray more pesticides. I know what to do and recommend to others what to do but when it comes to do doing it myself I am not as good about it. Funny huh?
Pictures are soon to follow of the progression of this year's garden :)

No comments: