Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Furchildren= First Children




This morning I woke up and hobbled to the bathroom only to look down and find my cold pack on the floor with two bite marks in it and some of the blue gel on the carpet. Of course I could not tell which pup was the culprit, maybe both but the bottom line was that this is not a good situation.

I should have known better than to leave my cold pack out, my back has been very painful and the cold pack helps. I was using a back of frozen veggies so I guess I will be going back to that. So of course J and I panicked a bit and waited for the vet to open. They directed us to call the ASPCA poison control. After a few minutes on the phone with the tech and vet it was determined that the contents was not toxic and if anything they might vomit but thats it. Phew. Relief. I felt like such a bad/irresponsible puppy mama. Can't say it didn't make me doubt my upcoming motherhood a bit.

But really when you think about it, pets are good practice for children. Not only do they need daily care (feeding, walking, bathroom trips and attention) but they are pretty much like toddlers with the exception that they don't talk. Which in a way will be what I will be facing for the first year or two with our baby.

Still, even though I feel like I am so cautious to prevent them from getting into things, they still have a naughty streak I can't always anticipate obviously. They get cold packs and sometimes the trash.... *sigh*. All I can say is that I do my best and love them unconditionally and that even though we have a baby on the way they will always be my first kids (along with Chloe and Zoe my kitties) and I actually think they will get more attention when I am home with the baby. Fur kids love back unconditionally and provide constant companionship I am greatful for always.

*******
On another note my fur niece could use some prayers, as well as my sister. Nala, is my 7 year old kitty- niece and she has been losing weight and is now down to 5.5lbs. She and her sister (Kayla) were rescued by my sister when they were just tiny little kittens. My sister loves, nutures and cherishes them. Those kitties have been there for her during some tough times, they helped her get through the passing of our childhood kitty, Shelby and through a divorce and provide constant companionship. They both have such expressive personalities but Nala had what I like to call a puppy-like demeanor. She eats hunks of chicken and steak like my puppies do and I swear when she looks at me she wants to bark ;)

I hate to see my sister go through this tough time with Nala. I know she will do whatever it takes to help her and not harm her. Today she gets the news about the prognosis and I am hoping for the best.

This is Nala:



So hug your fur kids tight and give them lots of kisses. They are precious and there is no love like it!




1 comment:

Jolene said...

aww...sis this is a beautiful post, I love your recap of your fur-children as practice for kids (agree), and your description of Nala (and Kay)as fur-nieces. Love them so much, and thank you for that...beautiful.