Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 20, 2010

For my Nonna




Today marks the one year anniversary since one of the most important person in my passed away, my grandmother.




Today I am doing the same thing I was on that day, grading papers at my dining room table with the door open on a beautiful spring morning. You might think it should be raining when you get news of someone's passing. Not nonna. She loved the sunny and beautiful days and she would be sadder if she knew I cried so much for her.




She always said, 'life is for the young'and not to cry for the dead. Still its hard not to. I miss her so much still.




It still doesn't seem fair, I feel she left us too soon. I wasn't ready. My heart breaks when I think that she will never get to meet her great-granddaughter. She would have been so proud and loved her so much. I know it.




But I believe God took her at that time for a reason. She didn't suffer for long, she got to see her children and grandchildren grow up. Of course she will miss the birth of our daughter, my cousin Gracie's graduation, future marriages/children for my cousins/sisters.




But looking back, we were lucky we got her for so long. She was a big part of my everyday life growing up and I am so thankful for that. Makes me realize how important it is to be near family when children are growing up.




I can still hear her encouraging words and see her sweet face. Her picture hangs on my desk at work, inspiring me to make her proud everyday.




Of course I am sitting here crying through this but I have hope that one day I will see her again. And the best I can do now is to live a life she would be proud of!




I will find a way to honor her memory. She was a special sweet lady that gave me my sense of compassion, gift of gab and nutured my love of family. And she could cook!!!!




So as this day does feel sad as we mark the one year anniversary since she passed, I know she is with me always.




I love you my Nonna.


2 comments:

Jessica said...

Aww, this was a great post, sis. Very well-put. And you're SO right, she did give you her gift of gab AND her love of cooking. You are a lot like her, which is so comforting. Means you'll be a pretty awesome mom too. I can't wait for that. :) Love you!

Jolene said...

this is beautiful sister, you capture her pefectly and the pictures are ones I love so much. XO