Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ten minutes at a time

So yesterday I hit a low point while in the doctor's office. Isabel was feverish and miserable, I had to wake her up from a nap to get to my apt. and I just felt horrible too.

My doctor was trying to give me a nebulizer treatment for my bronchitis and I was holding Isabel, who was screaming her head off because the noise was scaring her.

I turned off the machine and stepped out into the hall and just said I needed to go. My doctor was sweet about it but seriously, I felt like a terrible mom. I know I wasn't and I needed to take care of myself but seriously, it felt like a scene.

We get home after stopping at the drug store for meds and her eyes are goopy and green, she's gagging on mucus, I am coughing my head off and I am alone.

I manage to get meds into her, lay her down to nurse and call the on-call dr. to make sure the gagging is ok.

J is at work which feels like a zillion miles away, he is sick as a dog too. I am not sure why I thought him being home would help because all Isabel wanted was her mama. Her mama albeit sick just wanted to help her baby.

In the middle of it all, I call my mom who reminds me of this one good point:
"Take it 10 minutes at a time, if you can get through 10 minutes, you can get through it all."

It sounded simple but as we talked and I watched Isabel drifting off to sleep, 10 minutes passed and it felt more doable.

The nurse called back and said the gagging was mucus related and warned she might throw up if she hadn't already.

Glad she warned me because J walked in the door shortly thereafter to see me with a rosy cheeked, goopey eye'd, snotty nosed, sickie baby that gagged as he walked in the door and puked milk projectile over my shoulder.

I shrugged and just bent down and wiped it up.

J, was probably a bit shocked at the scene he was walking into.

When he left in the morning, Isabel was just feverish with sniffles.

Now she had morphed into a barely recognizable version of herself and I don't think he realized what I had been through all day.

Anyway, we gave her a bath, got her to bed and tried to catch our breath.

Usually, when she is sick I say I wish it were me, but now we are both sick and its not a winning combo. In fact, we are all sick and its kicking our butts!

God is good, He doesn't give us more than we can handle and we will come through it. He is giving me strength that is NOT my own. Somehow I am muddling through without sleep, sick myself and still making milk and caring for Isabel as usual.

Amazing.

If it was pre-baby I would probably be home on the couch feeling sorry and sick but instead I am sucking it up and taking care of the lil one like its just another day.

God definetly gives moms 'super strength' when we need it thats for sure.

I am not a SUPER mom but with God, I can do anything, even if its just 10 minutes at a time.

1 comment:

Jolene said...

awww sis! that sounds awful. I feel so bad!! I wish I could help more. One of those times I wished we lived closer to each other!! You ARE super amazing mom and I know God gives you the strength you need. Poor goopy eyed Isabel!!! Hope you all feel better. xoxox.