Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Reflecting on what it means to be a mom on Mother's Day

This morning I woke up at 8am to a cheerful smiling sweet baby girl. What a joy! The sun was shining, J was smiling and it was such a sweet and poingant moment.

This time last year, it was a sticky hot Sunday, we were trying out new churches and we enjoyed the service with some friends even though we knew this wasn't the church for us. I remember feeling, hot, out of my comfort zone and big...little did I know I would be getting MUCH MUCH bigger ;)

Even though at the time I thought of myself as a mom, I didn't have the baby in my arms yet. Some folks wished me a happy mother's day (I do believe this counts if you are pregnant or adopting-in-progress).

This year its real, I have a sweet baby girl that I love to the moon and back in my arms.

Its been years in the making.

I have been yearning to be a mom for about 8 years and to have this precious baby makes nothing else matter.

Did I get showered with gifts? Pampered with pedicures, breakfast in bed?

Nope.

I got up made chocolate chip pancakes for me and my hunny while he played with Isabel. I got a nice warm hot shower...no pedi though and two sweet cards, one from Isabel and one from J. We went to church, I made homeade pizza for lunch and currently Isababe is napping.

*Bliss*

For me, Mother's day isn't about the gifts, spending money or bragging about my loot.

I have the most precious gift anyone could ask for and she is sleeping peacefully a few feet away.

That is all I wanted.

After all that we went through to get her here, the pregnancy, gestational diabetes, my life threatening infection. It was worth it. I would do it 10,000x more times.

She's a strong, resilient, determined, sweet, funny, curious and lovable little girl.

I am thankful for my mom, her sacrifice to get me well, her dedication to me and Isabel and the example that's she's been all my life.

I am thankful for my 'mom away from moms' that I have had while in college, grad school and here. They have shaped me, nurtured me and loved me.

I am thankful for my mom friends, the ones on the frontline of motherhood, they are wise, full of advice and 'in the know' when it comes to breastfeeding, new gadgets and pedi recommendations.

But now its my turn, to be the mom, to make the call and to mother my daughter. Such an awesome responsibility.

But I am ready, look at the guidance and support and love I have! I wanna share all that with my Isabel Ann.

I know I was blogging about her being high needs, but it doesn't matter, I am not complaining. She is who she is and I would not change any of it!

I do feel like I had a little practice mothering with the addition of my kitties and pups. Especially true this week with Liam and Ladybug getting into it with a porcupine.

Anyway, I am relishing motherhood every minute and thankful for the gift God gave me more than any flowers, candy, spa treatment or gadget could ever do!

xoxoxo Mom, Grandma and my Nonna, you all shaped me and made me the mom I am becoming today!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

You are an incredible mom, sis. The little one is very lucky to have you. Love you so much!

Jolene said...

awww! I love this. so simple yet so well put. Happy Mother's Day sis, you inspire me every day with all that you do and how well you are raising Isabel. I love you!

Veggie Girl and Family said...

Love you sisters, thank you for thinking of me today and making me feel special xoxo