Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 2, 2011

Appreciating what you have

This morning at 5am Liam and Ladybug were quilled by a porcupine...not a great way to wake up when you see your beloved puppies with so many quills in their faces they look like they have goatees. Only to see that there were more were sticking out of their chests and legs like accupuncture needles.

I have to say I am getting better at the 'not panicking' thing. I think J and I both have. We reacted calmly, getting the dogs to settle down, calling the e-vet and I ran and got J's clothes and off he went all in about 5 minutes. Thinking back, maybe we should have waited for our vet to open but it would have been a long 3 hrs till it opened.

Of course, the baby woke up and I had to put her back down and just hope and pray they would be ok.

They were put under anesthesia and de-quilled and seemed ok even though Liam was limping around after he came home.

It figures that today, I was running around with two Dr. apts. I came home in the afternoon to find Liam in the same spot I left him. Ladybug was sprinting about but Liam was not himself. Ugh. I called and got pain meds and antibiotics for him.

But by 4pm he just wasn't himself and limped all the way upstairs to me. I was in Isabel's room playing her and a friend with her baby and he just looked so pathetic I decided to take him back into the vet.

Sure enough, he has more quills in his leg that needed to come out. I managed to carry him to the car but the vet carried him in. I had a sinking feeling.

I think it was that moment when I felt like life was getting away from me a bit.

My family started off when I adopted Chloe and Zoe my kitties who I moved heaven and earth for to bring them home for holidays.

Next came Ladybug once J and I got married. I fretted over how my girls would accept a dog and if they would feel snubbed? Would I have enough time for them all to get the same amount of attention?

Sure, it was an adjustment but soon the cats found a way to co-exist with the dog and Ladybug became my world. We walked 2x a day, took her to training and I just loved her to bits.

Our love multiplied when we adopted Liam less than a year later. He was our puppy boy and our fur family was complete.

You know how much I just love my furkids, they fill me with joy and have been great company, loyal companions and full of mischief.

When we decided to have a baby, I concerned about how the puppies and cats would adjust. I knew that they would....but would I?

I hated the thought of not having my furkids come first anymore.

Once Isabel arrived I feel like they just knew that things had changed and there was no hard feelings, they have been really gentle and so sweet. they just accepted the new pack order and I really can't complain.

So things had been chugging along with our little family and then today my world got turned around. Just the thought that something was wrong with my dogs my heart just broke.

I feel like in the busy go go days, its hard for me to give my dogs and even my cats all the attention they deserve.

I don't take them for granted but sometimes I am scared they think I do....yes I may be humanizing a bit here. But you get what I mean.

I feel like my love had multiplied instead of dividing. BUT, I also feel like with each new family member we add, there is less attention for each one.

Sure, I know that they love having each other as company and having me home is better than at work but I still miss my one on one time.

It gets me thinking if I feel torn about having another baby.

*YIKES* Did I even write that?!

Ummmmmmmm I am not saying I am ready to have another but I certainly think about having another baby someday.

My fear?

Not being able to give each 'kid', human or other the attention they deserve. Is that the natural progression? Does the attention get diluted?

I am not sure...I don't think so. But I think it take paying attention and appreciating what I have everyday.

So that is my goal, to give each 'kid' my love and attention each day and appreciate what I have.

Sounds simple but when you have a needy baby taking up alot of time it takes extra effort!

I am writing this as I stroke Liam's ear as he is lounging on the couch and recovering from his second surgery. I wish it could have been me and not him today.

I hate to see any one in my family suffer! Prayhing that tomorrow is a better day and taking a moment to appreciate all that I have.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

aww sis! I am so sorry about the fur kids yesterday, poor things!!! I have never seen a porcupine either! I bet they were just curious and walked over to it and got a big surprise. Poor things!! I think your feelings about wanting to give equal attention is what every mother fears. You know mom must have gone through it with us too, especially three at once. You are doing great, and I love your goal of appreciating each one individually. Great goal.

Jessica said...

This will make you laugh, sis. I was relaying the story to Scott last night and for some reason, I always thought porcupines could "shoot" their quills at you. God knows where I got that from. The look on Scott's face was priceless - he was in hysterics, thought that was the funniest thing he ever heard. Of course, still not believing him, I had to look it up on my blackberry to make sure I wasn't right. LOL. Wow, huh?? Not to make light of the situation because I'm sure it was SO scary and I'm amazed at how calm you were throughout, but I thought you might get a kick out of that story. ;-)

Jolene said...

Um, haha. I thought they shot their quills too! LOLOL!

Veggie Girl and Family said...

LOL yea they have to be touched to release them LOL!