Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 5, 2011

I think I have a high needs baby

Ok so most babies are needy right? Every baby is unique right? So what makes me think Isabel is 'high needs'?

First, what does it mean to be high needs? Dr. Sears defines it as having these characteristics:
1. IntenseMake their needs known in a very loud, definitive way. Are passionate about what they want and don’t want, and if you’re not quick to meet their needs, they’ll let you have it. They cry loudly, but the flip side is that they also voice their pleasure loudly.
We call Isabel a 0 to 60 baby because she can go from happy to sad or vice versa in 60 seconds! From day one when she was hungry we all knew it and had to respond quickly or hysterics would ensue...and if I let that happen it might snow ball into 2-3h of misery.

2. HyperactiveIn constant motion, may have stiff or tense muscles, seldom quiet or still, and may even resist being held or cuddled(this doesn't apply to me but does if someone is holdering her that she doesn't want hold her is trying to hold her).

3. DrainingHigh needs babies wear you down! They definitely keep you on your toes, and may leave little time for you to recharge your batteries. Because they often don't sleep well, there is no consistent or predictable down time for you, the parent. This can be extremely tiring and frustrating.
Isabel is always in motion and I thought all babies were this way until I started having playdates with other babies her age to see that she was the only one up when all the other babies were napping!

4. Feeds frequentlyHigh needs babies may desire to nurse or bottle feed more frequently. And you may also wish to feed more frequently to pacify your baby. I have heard from many parents that their high needs baby was in the top percentile for weight due to the high frequency of feedings.
We call her the snacky baby

5. DemandingThis is the child that lets you know, very loudly, what she needs. If you don't get to her right away, she is quick to voice her displeasure. She feels her needs very strongly and knows how to get them met.
See #1! She knows what she wants and she wants it now!

6.Awakens frequentlySleeps in short stretches and may also have trouble falling asleep. she's generally a cat napper and once in a while surprises me with a 2h stretch once in a while

7.UnsatisfiedNo matter what you do, your baby may still be grumpy, unhappy, or discontent, even if you've tried every calming technique you can think of. Dr. Sears encourages parents to realize when they've done all they can, and that the rest is up to their baby. This was her from 0-3.5 months and they she got alot better and easier to please and predict! Months 4-7 have been so much better as far as this goes!

8.UnpredictableOne day she falls asleep when you rock her, the next she doesn't. You're able to calm her by feeding her one night, but the next night she shrieks when you try to feed her. He sleeps through the night for a few days, and then is up 3+ times the next few nights. We jokingly call our little guy manic depressive because he can go from calm and content and smiling one second to red-faced screaming the next. Yea she is pretty much like this all her life so far!

9. Super-sensitive
Extremely sensitive to their environment and external stimuli. They are constantly observing the world around them, and prefer to be at home, or in a calm and familiar environment. They may startle easily, and are very sensitive to pain or discomfort. DOESN'T APPLY TO HER

10. Can’t put baby downThese babies prefer to be held and in constant motion. They may resist sleeping alone, or being relegated to their stroller or bouncy chair. They prefer human touch and movement. High Needs babies tend to do very well when being 'worn' in slings or baby carriers. The Moby, Bjorn and Ergo are my friends and she does like her jumperoo and walker and swing but hated to be alone for long and still doesn't love being put down. In the beginning she napped on me and did best when worn!

11.Not a self-sootherThese are the babies that need help to fall asleep. While other babies may be able to drift peacefully off to sleep in their cribs, some babies need to be gently taught how to relax and fall asleep on their own. This may not come until a little later in infancy. This is the biggest struggles we have, she has a tough time at night and staying asleep for naps. Car rides are tough too because she can't soothe herself. But its starting to get b etter.

12. Separation sensitiveSome babies definitely prefer the company of their primary caregivers. It may be difficult to leave them with babysitters or even have someone else hold them. They are deeply attached to their parents as they know that these are the people who meet their needs. She is my cling-on and though that's the sweetest feeling in the world she has a tough time going to J and other close family members easily. I know that its hard for them and for me because I would love a break and a chance for them to spend time with her. It fluctuates though and some days she is fine other days all she wants is momma all day/night long.

14. Outgoing:Loves to be around people, noise and activity
While some high need babies do best in quiet, calm environments, what I hear from many, many parents is that their baby actually prefers being in crowds, surrounded by people and activity. They may cry and fuss significantly more in the quiet of their own homes. The activity and drone of crowds or traffic seem to soothe them, and they may even fall asleep. Friends and family may not believe your stories of crying and fussing because these babies appear so easy-going and content when in public. She loves to be out and about if she is close to me so we do have a playdate/outing planned for everyday of the week. I think she is very well adapted to being out and does great when we are out most of the time! This is a saving Grace

I am not complaing about my darling Isabel but I feel like after looking back at the last 7 months I feel like I am starting to figure her out. I see how very different she is from her cohort but what makes her different is what makes her special. She is vivacious, out going, developing early and so expresssive. She is full of zest, love and curiousity. For the struggles I have with leaving her, the sleep issues and her attachment to me its all worth it. I am thankful I can stay home with her. Many mom friends tell me she would adjust BUT I am just not sure how she would do and what it would do to her. In a while I could see her in pre-school but right now being with me seems best.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

aww...this does sound a lot like Isabel huh? So what is the solution to a high-needs baby? I had a dream about her just before I woke up this morning. I picked her up and hugged and kissed her. She cooed. I miss her! And you!

Jessica said...

You're right sis - she IS so full of life, I love that so much about her. I know that means less sleep for you but I know you believe she's worth every sleepless night and day! Love you guys!

Veggie Girl and Family said...

The solution is lots of attention and love I guess...with a side of patience and willingness to put her needs before my own.

I wish you guys could see her more, she really does love you both!