Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Commiting to church membership

Yesterday J and I went to our church's annual 'Pig Roast' an event for the community and church. I made brownie cupcakes to contribute to the event that satisfied my nesting needs for the day.

On a side note, I had been up almost all the night before suffering from the most horrendous heartburn I have ever had, I made the caramel apple cake (delish btw) and pulled pork sandwhiches (death of me for heartburn). So I spend Saturday napping and baking :)

We met up with our small group friends and made our way around the picnic. The food was great and it was really neat to run into people I work with and know around Durham including some ladies from my UNH water aerobics :)

One of the other reasons we went was to meet one of the church elders to say hello and confirm a time to meet today. We attended the membership class in July and decided to become members of this church. One of the parts of membership is meeting with an elder. We had been trying for weeks to make it happen so I am glad we are able to do it before the baby arrives. Turns out this elder and family literally live 8 houses down from us ;)

So we met this morning and discussed membership and our backgrounds and our intentions for being involved in the church. It was a good time of fellowship. One of the things we have to consider is adult baptism. This church is a non-denominational church but was founded on baptist principles.

How do I feel about this?
Well, at first I was looking at it more as a formality and almost felt weird about doing it because I consider myself more of a mature Christian rather than a new one. But the more I think about it the more I think it would be a good opportunity for J and I to affirm our faith together. We don't have to be baptized in the church, we can do it on our own. So we are considering how and when we will do it. We both were infant baptized. I don't think its necessarily wrong to only be infant baptized but I do think being baptized as an adult or when you are able to know Christ and accept Him into your heart then thats when baptism should be done.

So what about our baby?
We like the idea of infant dedication, a commitment in front of the church to raise our daughter to know God but we would let her get baptized when she is old enough to know and accept Christ into her heart.

So, we are waiting to join officially but it feels good to be settling into a church family again. Even the elder's wife was sweet enough to offer to help out when the baby is born. That just meant alot! Church family are valuable and I have missed being a part of one!

***********
On another note, I am struggling to be patient. All weekend I have known that my OB is on-call this weekend through Tuesday. I really want her to deliver the baby and I feel anxious at the thought that next week the French Dr. is on-call and would deliver her... ugh! If the baby doesn't come by next weekend then I will be induced on that Monday. I am just so up in the air with all this... definetly not in control! Guess I should get used to it! I really hope she comes today.. my Great Aunt Carolyn predicted she would come today...we'll see!

No comments: