Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, March 28, 2011

Am I EVER going to graduate?

Today I felt a quick pang of fear that my dream of attaining a PhD. is just NOT going to happen in this life time. Was it my way of scaring myself into getting motivated? Maybe. Honestly, juggling a baby, a household, a husband and a dissertation, guess which one gets last dibs? Yea my dissertation. I felt especially desperate today since I got an email from my advisor and the tone was pleasant but I get the feeling he's not thrilled with my slow progress (as I call it). I know he knows I have it in me to finish but that having a baby changes the game...ALOT. I think I did the best I could to get as finished as possible before Isabel was born but I underestimated the difficulties Isabel would have with sleep and how little time I would have to write and crunch numbers. Some days its utterly the LAST thing on my mind. I am running from the minute I wake up until the moment I lay down. Its also hard to tear myself away from Isabel to work.... I wish I could afford a mother's helper to play with her for a few hours a few days a week so I could work with less guilt. *sigh* But I am honestly done making excuses and I am going to pull up my bootstraps and get 'er done. I don't want to give up because it feels less than doable to finish. I want to be a good example to my daughter and show her I am a strong, well-educated, determined and smart mama. So I am focusing less on graduating and more on attainable goals that are more of a day by day thing. I want to finish even though right now I feel completely overwhelmed at the thought... No more excuses, must finish.... I am so close I can almost taste it!! I am dedicating my dissertation to my baby girl, she is my NEW motivation.

1 comment:

Jolene said...

Like I tell M...you will get there, I promise. You have the foundation, you are almost there, you have the right attitude sis! And you are doing awesome. Love you!