Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Love with Food

Its probably an Italian thing to love with food. I know its in my blood to enjoying cooking a good meal and sharing it with others.

This week, I made some meals for a dear friend, while Isabel napped (go me might I add *wink*).

I made mozzarella stuffed meatballs, brownies and spinach and ham quiche. Nothing fancy but it felt good. Our friends like the meatballs I make for some reason so I made two containers one to eat now and one to freeze if they wanted to.

There is something satisfying about making recipes that are tried and true and you some one else will enjoy. I remember my nonna sitting at her kitchen table waiting with baited breath as we tried the meatballs she made that week. She would get up at 5am to make them and I remember looking forward to Sundays just for the chance to eat a few! Everything she made was good, every.single.time.

I am pretty sure it was because of all the love she put into it.

I think that when you cook with your heart it can't help but be good.

I certainly carry on that tradition, I can't help it, it just feel natural!

Now, lets not mention what it CAN do to the waisteline! Especially when dad already got me my fave pizza and an arracini (google this if you don't know what I am talking about... heaven in a bite!).

However, in that department thing have settled down and I think I must be down about 10lbs. Yahoo!

This coming week J is traveling for work...(insert HUGE sad face). However, there is a bright side. I am staying one night with my dad and one night with my sis. And I *think* they are excited. They have already told me what they are making/doing for dinner! See? The love, its right there!

They are making my favorite things and really it makes me feel special. I love doing this for others and it feels weird but wonderful that others are going to do it for me.

So, its the same for J and Isabel. J loves that I love to cook and I think he missed it when I was pregnant because I could barely stand the smells for 4 months and then by 7 months on my feet were so huge and I was so hot I could barely stand in the kitchen to cook. Ugh! Then the baby came and I didn't begin to have time to cook until a couple of months ago LOL.

Anyway, I have really enjoyed nursing Isabel too. I know its not cooking but it is nourishing her body. Sometimes I am still amazed that all she needed was MY milk for 6 whole months! How incredible is the human body?! Seriously! Now, I make her baby food and I know she likes it much better than the jarred stuff. Who could blame her ;)

So loving with food doesn't have to expand your waisteline it just means that whatever is made with love should be nourishing! Its refreshing to enjoy cooking again!

1 comment:

Jolene said...

You DO love with food and I LOVE it...it's such a part of who you are and reminds me so much of Nonna. You are amazing sis, and I love seeing you and seeing you flourish as a mom. Can't wait to (hopefully) see you again this week!