Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

BW=Baby Wearing

Starting out as a new mom I didn't exactly know if I pictured myself as a breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping mama. But that is what is evolving as these months go by and I am proud of it. Obviously, I wanted to breastfeed from the beginning but the latter two choices I made have come about out of necessity!

I got a hand me down Bjorn and a Moby as a gift. Soon after Isabel was born it was clear she was a baby that liked to be worn. She didn't fit well in the Bjorn but the Moby worked right well. Not at first though. She would cry when I put her in it and after all the work it took to wrap it up on me and get her in it I was frazzled. J was great though very encouraging to keep trying. Finally, it soothed her fussy crying jags and she would fall asleep in it. Heaven! I could walk around hands free, cook, clean etc. and she would snooze!! I even took her grocery shopping and for walks in it. She loved it and so did I. Now she is getting to long and alittle too strong for it, she has tried to back bend her way out of it, dangerous! So I opted for a new wrap, albeit an expensive one.

But, since I didn't buy the other two I decided to splurge. We got an Ergo sport and it fits great with a front carrying, back carrying and side carrying option! I have only managed the front carrying because I think I will need help putting her in the other two ways. However, I love this option! We can take walks with the dogs and no stroller! Grocery shopping is a breaze and my back doesn't hurt! One grocery shopper saw me with her in it and called over "now thats the way to do it"! Felt good to have others embrace baby wearing! I think it strengthens our bond and her bond with J when he wears her. Wearing her is also a work out, trying lugging 20+ lbs around when you go for a walk!

Maybe it seems sort of retro to breastfeed, wear a baby and even co-sleep for naps and sometimes at night but I don't care.

Judge if you must but I am finding its really whats best for Isabel. The alternative? We had a fussy, crying, miserable baby that was tough to soothe any other way. I am so proud of how far we have come in getting to know our little munchkin and how much our relationship with her has grown!

Right now she is napping but I just heard her happy little squawkings from the other room and I just love how expressive she is, I almost don't mind that this was a shorter nap!

3 comments:

Jolene said...

awwww!! I wanna wear her! LOL! ;-) Can't wait to give her a big squeeze!!

Anonymous said...

I'm planning on two out of the three - breastfeeding and baby-wearing! ;-P I think it's great!!

Veggie Girl and Family said...

Thank you!