Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Adventures in being brave and 30wk Update

So, I have been monitoring my diet and blood sugar for almost a week and my morning blood sugar is over 100 on most days and the range for fasting blood sugar is 60-90.

What to do?
Well, its pretty much been decided that I have gestational diabetes even though the tests showed I was borderline. I did call my OB just to double check that this is a good conclusion and that insulin was the right next step.
So, yesterday I trudged off to the Diabetes Clinic for a consultation and to learn how to inject insulin. They are very nice there but I think they are used to a cohort of people that don't know much about their body, basic biology or nutrition. So, I am probably a breath of fresh air since I know alot (not trying to brag but I am getting PhD in Biology) so much of the info was remedial and not so helpful.

Except for the insulin injection lesson. I am not too squeemish about needles and I can follow directions but going over the steps left me a little light headed because there was so much to be watchful for. I practiced using the pen several times on the pillow which represents my thigh and felt good to go.
The plan is to inject at 10pm at night and titer the amount based on my morning fasting blood sugar readings. I get to have a good carb-y snack at bed time so for now I am trying a sweet treat, last night it was a klondike bar. Apparently though its counter intuitive, I should eat this high carb snack because if I don't my morning numbers will be higher because glucose is still released through the liver at night and I am most insulin resistant in the morning. Another interesting note that made me feel less like a failure is that the demand for insulin at 30 weeks in triple that of a non-pregnant woman. So no wonder why my poor pancreas can't keep up!!!

I came home after the appointment and explained the process to J, who promised to help me go through the steps. I have to say I was scared and dreaded 10pm!! But when the time came I got the insulin pen ready and J double checked it. I injected the needle into my hip. The worst part? The anticipation of doing it... it didn't hurt much and it was over quickly.
Of course I got up this morning all excited to see my numbers go down in the am and they did not... so I guess I need a better night time snack and more insulin tonight...boo.

So that is me being brave for Baby N. She certainly is worth it! The plus side to controlled GD is that it will hopefully prevent a C-section or at least lesson risk. Uncontrolled GD can lead to a bigger baby especially in her shoulders and head making birth difficult. So here's hoping!!
How far along? 30w 2d


Weight gain? I am down 3.5lbs since starting this GD diet so my total gain is 18.5lbs


How big is baby? About 2.75lbs but I will know for sure once I get the u/s in a week


Kicks? Lots but not as frequent now that I am on the GD diet, less sugar=slower baby which is good if not a little unnerving!


Latest craving? Diet coke


Highlight of the week? J is painting Baby N's room!


You get two pix this week:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so brave sis!! You WERE always the braver one though. :) And I can't believe how great you look in those pics...I just saw you two weeks ago and you already look more "pregnant" - she's coming, I can't wait!!

Jolene said...

Aw, so cute! My niece-y is almost here!!