Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Growing

I ate my first cucumber from our garden today! It was alittle spiny, short and squat but it was really crunchy! It has been so dreary today but that cheered me up! I saw alot of green tomatoes, tiny summer squashes, and a pumpkin!


Looking at my window sill as I washed tonights' dishes I looked at the basil I planted just after Nonna passed away. Kind of a tribute. They weren't growing vigorously likely because they were slightly neglected, but they have been getting watered more frequently so they are growing.
It made me think of her. Her eyes would light up when she would talk about the smell and taste of Genovese basil. She has been on my mind lately. I went down to Gloucester and couldn't even drive past her house because the thought of it just made me cry. She was such a wonderful woman. I feel like words can't accurately describe how wise, sweet, genuine, kind, generous and special she was. I can't stand talking about her in the past tense. I just wish she was still with us.
My sister had a dream about her this week and just reading her blog made me miss her so much, tears come to my eyes just thinking about it. There is still a dull ache in my heart for her and the loss I feel over her.
It is comforting to see my little basil plants grow. It reminds me that life goes on in everyway. But I will be forever changed by her and all that she was to me.


1 comment:

jolene1079 said...

Aw, love this post. I see my basil grow and think of her too. We should visit...and plant some basil. Sigh.