Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Growing as a scientist

This week has been a bit rough with transitioning back to work, with having to be back on a schedule, letting folks know what happened to me and dealing with my research.

I walked into my lab on Monday morning and my advisor's first words were "were you on vacation last week?" Me: "no I was out recovering" Him:"oh really? what happened?!" He didn't get my email or my phone calls so I tried to let him know but apparently he wasn't worried that I dissappeared for a week! I guess I feel relieved that I can go away for a week and he doesn't worry.

I filled my grad friends in on what happened and the ordeal. I really tried just to tell the ladies but some of the guys overheard... thankfully they aren't squeamish!

One of the biggest challenges I have had so far this week other than my research is finding clothes that are comfortable... wish I could wear a mumu or drawstring pants to work!

As far as my research, I am slogging through it. I am sort of stuck working out an HPLC method that isn't quite working. I am trying to work with 2 methods to see which one will work better for me. But this week I find I keep making little mistakes. Maybe its my concentration and that I am distracted and still don't feel 100%.

I am also feeling bummed about all this rain....it is really not good for my field research. My cucurbits are just sitting there in the field! My garden is also not doing exceptionally well but I have more hope for it than my field stuff. I at least see tomatoes!

No comments: