Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Things you don't realize until after your baby is born

Everyone was quick to give me their sage advice on child rearing when I was pregnant, of course I nodded and took most of it with a grain of salt because of course I knew best or so I thought.

So far I have broken every 'rule' I had about what I would and would not do with my child. These include:
1. Letting my baby sleep in bed with me: I BF and initially that means alot of late night feedings. I thought I wouldn't mind the up and down and didn't want to start bad habits but in the end she slept in bed with me/us a couple of hrs. a night for a while.

2. Germs: I never wanted to be the germ phobe washing all the toys and poopy laundry religiously but now that Isabel had her first cold I do use the wipes and do the laundry pretty much all the time. However, I don't mind if our dogs lick her face/hands and I do have a five second rule for toys on the floor still

3. Pacifiers: Didn't want her to have them because I feared nipple confusion, result? She is a fierce sucker and will suck on anything but not really pacifiers...go figure!

4. Crying: In the beginning I tried to prevent it at all costs. Now? I usually know when a cry is for wet/dirty diaper, food or illness and when she just wants her mama. I have gotten better at letting her cry a bit when I knew its not going to throw her into a fit like it used to when she was 6-9 weeks.

5. Carrying the baby: I didn't know I would have a clingy baby, some are and some aren't I have the cling on kind that would be happy to be an added appendage if I let her. I pretty much carry or wear her alot of the day when we aren't playing or out and about. I have been able to put her down more now in the last month or so for her to play in her crib, swing or floor (sans the dogs) more often and have her like it.

6. 'We': Just like I never referred to Josh and I as being pregnant aka 'we're pregnant'. I never say 'we're teething, cranky, hungry, fussy, spitty etc.' because that would imply I am too!

Well you get the idea.....

I guess I had misconceptions about going back to work too. In my perfect world while pregnant I imagined I would need 6 weeks off to get my darling baby onto a schedule, where she napped in her crib 1-2h at a time and was happy and never cried for anything because I would intuitively know what was wrong and prevent her from getting upset... I am cracking up as I write this by the way.

Anyway I would go back to working from home for the rest of the semester and didn't really worry about sleep deprivation, entertaining the baby, taking care of myself or J. I figured it would all work itself out.

In reality.....

I had a traumatic birth experience that kept me hospitalized for weeks, a demanding/fussy (I would not call her colicky but close) and the family transition was really challenging.

I wanted to hold her all the time, prevent all cries, sleep next to her to make sure she was breathing, nurse her on demand and basically my world as I knew it stood still and Isabel consumed my world in a good way.

I didn't think I would be 'that' mom that would 'allow' herself to get so wrapped up in her baby that she would forget that life was happening outside her front door. That I could basically walk away from my almost completed PhD. and not look back.

Now.......
I am learning to balance my life with a child with the life I had before she was born. Its a slow and steady transition.

I am working on my dissertation in bits and pieces and submitting a paper this week go me!

I have ventured out to grocery shop and get a hair cut alone. This weekend J and I left Isabel with my sister and brother in law so we could go to lunch on a date.

She is even sleeping her own crib for the first time tonight......

I would call myself an attatched mom and thats a good thing. I didn't know I would be this kind of mom but I am proud of it. I don't mind that people may judge me for my descisions. Really, I don't care. I am doing what is best for Isabel, even if I naively thought I would be able to juggle it all and be back and work. Life happens and I am going with it. Parenthood doesn't come with an instruction manual, though I wish it did ;) Its a fascinating and challenging journey but I am loving it everyday!

3 comments:

Jolene said...

I love this post sis! you are doing an amazing job and I love the transition I am seeing with you and this next phase with Isabel. Letting go a little bit, trusting your instincts (and Isabel too) and going with the flow. You are doing a great job and I really admire all that you do. As for the paper you are submitting...wow, GO YOU is right!! That deserves a glass of wine, no? :)

Jessica said...

Totally agree with Jo. You are doing SO GREAT and I'm so proud of you AND honored that we got to babysit first out of the family. Yay! :)

Anonymous said...

You are doing great! Who cares what other people think! That's what I say! Snuggle that little beauty as much as possible, she will be this little only once! :)