Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 2, 2012

When the shoe is on the other foot

I have to admit that when I woke up to J puking this morning two thoughts crossed my mind, first was 'hope he's ok' followed quickly by 'haha' a little taste of what I went through two nights ago.

Quickly my thoughts faded and I jumped into action, I patted his back and held the bucket. Oh yea, I was in the trenches. I got him back to bed and offered to get him water. * I really should've been a nurse*

Even though it was 5:30 am Isabel was getting up so I got her up dressed and ready to go, complete with a shower for me and out the door by 8:15am for a pedi appointment. That's saying a lot given managing Isabel and doing anything for oneself is hard especially in the morning. She is a very busy toddler that demands attention (not always a bad thing) but makes mornings tough.

She did great at her pedi appointment, didn't cry during the shots (that's my strong girl, though she could've cried and I would've comforted her just the same). The toughest part was knowing that this was our last appointment with her pedi. The ONE that was in the delivery room, that held her helped her not breathe in meconium and walk us through her first year of life. She coached us, cheered and encouraged us all the way. I teared up when she bent down and looked right into Isabel's face and told her to be a good girl and have fun in MA and send lots of pictures because she is so special. *holding back tears now* gulp it was hard. I know I am not moving across the country but I don't think we can keep taking her here its an hour drive.

Back at home J was still in the throws of the dreaded bug Isabel and I had. As I sat there telling him about Isabels' appointment he stopped me and said he was sorry he wasn't nicer to me when I was sick because this was terrible. Ha!

I know deep down J has empathy. Loads of it actually. But I feel like he in recent years has let his 'suck it up Sally' attitude prevail just a bit too much. Going back in our "history", I remember vividly the 2 weeks he spent with me in FL nursing me back to health when I was so sick with a weird virus/strep infection that landed me in the hospital twice. It was awful for me and yet he was calm, patient, sweet and attentive. That's how I knew I could marry him. He could take care of me and genuinely loved me even when I was feeling my worst.

I think with having a baby and being responsible for her care at all times has shifted the focus away from ourselves so much that we just can't afford to be sick. Not even when I was so sick after my c/s, it was like the worst timing ever really. We've gone from 'babying' each other to 'just getting through it'.

With that said, being sick as a mom is different that being sick as a dad. I did get some down time but not as much as J and thats just how it goes. I have been joking I have two sick kids this week but its not too far from the truth!

Ah well, he knows its not exactly equal but we are a partnership and it balances out in the end.

*******
As far as Ladybug, she's still in the vet hospital. She's recovering but we are giving her an extra night of recovery. She has low WBC and platelets. Another night isn't going to change that but she needs to stay quiet and its hard to keep Liam and Ladybug from rough housing especially when they haven't seen each other for a bit.

I feel so much empathy for her in the hospital and feeling sick. It reminds me of last year. When I was home recuperating, Ladybug was by my side everyday. I knew she could tell I didn't feel well. She's such an intuitive girl. I hate she is going through this but I know she will come through it.


4 comments:

Jess said...

Aww sis, you're going through a rough week with the sickies and having to say some sad goodbyes (the pedi is gonna miss Isabel, huh? such a sweetie pie she is...), and also have to deal with Ladybug too. I'm sorry sis, sending you hugs and love and kisses, ok? (((hug)))

PS so proud of Isabel for not crying through her shots! Such a big girl!

Veggie Girl and Family said...

Thanks sis, I am hanging in there xo

Jolene said...

I just read a blog post from another mom who just went through this very thing, and had the feeling of 'what about me?!" when I am sick and need a break...clearly the same thing here, sis, and I really really respect all that you do. I am glad J realizes it and knows you do so much, though, that's important. Glad LB is now home too!

Veggie Girl and Family said...

Yea it totally IS what about me! Well said! Oh well, I can stay on the back burner but sometimes I do have to take care of me!