Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 10, 2011

What I have realized about me

I sat on the couch the other night beating myself up inside while watching the Biggest Loser. In reality, I could be a contestant. I am not more than 30-40lbs. away from some of the women. Ugh.

Of course, I know what you are thinking.... or maybe I do ( that I hide it well, yea I hear that alot). Even before Isabel I was not tiny and even though I am lbs. away from where I was before she was born its a small consilation given what I actually weigh.

Nursing has definetly helped alot with losing the baby weight but I hoped it would help me continue to lose. Right now I am holding steady and still quite hungry, thus eat more than I would if I were on a diet.

So here is the dilemna, anytime I cut back my milk supply goes down and I have been told losing weight too fast can release chemical stored in my fat cells that can get into the milk (not good!). Its not that I want to use these as excuses but really don't want to hurt my supply. One blogger reminded me that breastfeeding happens for such a short time in your child's life so its worth dealing with the extra pounds for the sake of the baby. I do like that mentality and have kind of adopted it. It makes me feel alittle bit better about the weight I am carrying.

What I don't want to happen though is to be that 'heavy mom' than never loses the weight. To me, its not healthy and where I had GD with Isabel, I don't want to have it the next go round if I can help it.

So what's my plan? For now, more fiber, fruit, some veggies (non-gassy ones) and walking. Thats the best I can do, plus all the lifting of Isabel I can manage :)

What I have learned over the past few months though is that even with my weight struggle I should be proud of what my body can do and overcome.

In just a few months, I delivered a baby, fought a life threatening infection and healed a wound that was 7cm deep and 10cm wide. I have successfully nursed a baby and managed not to get too sick despite the sleep deprivation (did get strep and a stomach bug since).

I am focusing now on those positives and trying not to beat myself up in the mean time. Once Isabel starts eating food, I think I will be able to diet more and by then it will be spring so out we go for walks everyday!!!

Its actually a refreshing perspective. In the past I have set high goals regarding my weight and been hard on myself until I reach them. I haven't been very accepting or loving to myself. But really, life is too short to be so hard on myself and I am generally in good health so thats the point right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how hard this must be...to feel stuck between two good intentions, especially when they are as personal as your body and your child. For years, I struggled with the weight I gained from IVF, knowing that some extra weight (and full-fat foods) would be helpful in terms of conceiving. And like you, no one really noticed my extra weight but me...but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I think you're totally right though that Isabel being weaned and the good weather will happen around the same time, and you can get out for lots of walks over the summer! I'm so excited and grateful that my maternity leave will happen over the summer - maybe we can meet up for walks? ;-)

squasgirlphd said...

Awww you are totally the sweetest! Yes its what had to happen for a certain Miss Isabel to be here! Your words really cheer me up and yes lots of walks this summer with you! Hope you are feeling well!

Jolene said...

Aww...such a sweet comment from LBTD :-) And I totally agree (not that I can relate, of course), because you ARE doing what's best for Isabel and you are getting there, despite how it must feel sometimes. You have the strongest body I have ever seen, to have gone through what you have and be as resilient as you are. You should be proud, and I am glad you are and recognize that. Love you sis...you are beautiful, loving, and an inspiration to me whenever it (could) be my time as a mom one day.

StephaE said...

This Spring I will SOOOO walk with you! Let me know when and where and If I am not at work COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!

I am also eating fruits and non gassy veggies! LOL! I loveee "the non-gassy" part!

Are you going to be there Saturday!? Can't wait to see you and Isabel!

Jessica said...

Amen sista. You are doing the exact right thing AND you are so strong and so amazing for what you've been through. This too shall pass, all in due time. Promise! xoxo