Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Love of a father

The other night I asked J to watch Isabel so I could get dinner ready, she was fussy and I was rushing to get dinner overwith so we could all sit down and relax together. I was feeling abit frazzled because dinner time is a tough time for Isabel (usually she is fussy).

J brought Isabel to her room hoping to play with her and jolly her out of her mood. She was crying and I felt like I needed to rush even more to get things done. But soon her crying stopped and I heard him reading Isabel a story, about Buttermilk the bunny. It was a precious moment, melted my heart and I was able to get dinner ready.

I do most of the day to day care of Isabel and J does the rest, takes the dogs out, cleans, pays the bills, works etc. Thats his contribution and he doesn't get a ton of time with Isabel.

But then there are these moments that are so precious and special they cause me to pause.

In the morning he picks her up and there is a wide grin on her face. I hear him tell her just how much he loves her and covers her with kisses. He always says 'hello beautiful' or 'you're so beautiful' and it is the sweetest.

At night Isabel has been fussing as I put her down or wakes up in the middle of the night crying even though she isn't hungry, just fussy. J has been really good at picking her up and rocking her in his arms until she quiets back down. Its so precious and sweet. Its their time to bond and I adore him even more when I see him in action.

Sure, being a new parent is stressful, time consuming and trying at times. It tests a couple like nothing else can. Its bringing us closer now.

Seeing how J is gentle and patient and loving to Isabel it just makes me love him that much more.

Having had a rocky relationship with my dad, it just warms my heart to see how much he loves our daughter and is already fostering a loving bond. She is the apple of his eye.

Its bittersweet for me, I am not envious of their relationship. In fact, I am over the moon by it but it does make me wish that my relationship with my dad was a little more nuturing. J is doing a great job with Isabel and that means the most to me.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

Aaww...that is so cute sis.

squashgirlphd said...

:) Thank you sis xoxoxo

StephaE said...

I love this post! J seems like a great daddy!!!

squashgirlphd said...

Awww he is!