Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Driving in snow

Ok, I am a New Englander and its not that I don't know it snows here but driving with a little one has totally changed my perspective.

I was always a cautious winter driver especially because where we live, our neighborhood is more like a ski slope than anything else. So, when UNH would close I was happy to stay home than brave the slippery, not well plowed roads. Its not that I didn't try to go out when school wasn't called but the roads around UNH are usually the roughest and I was hit once on the way home from work and another time I nearly drove off the road. So, if I don't have to go I don't want to.

Now, with Isabel I tend to be even more cautious. Until today I have only cancelled one thing due to weather ( a dr. apt.) they didn't blame me for not going out that day and I was glad I stayed.

Today, it was snowing and piling up with very little plowing. I was pressuring myself to go to my therapist apt ( I really like going) and I didn't want to wimp out because of a couple inches of snow.

The dilemna? Take my baby girl out in bad weather? Or stay home?

J called about 10m into his commute and said it was bad and try to stay home if I could. I decided I would try to go out.

As soon as I left the driveway I was feeling nervous. Isabel was fine just looking out the music and I tried to quell my nerves by putting some music on and just make it there. All the roads were terrible and covered in snow. Every road I took it just got worse and I was feeling nervous. I saw spinouts and finally got detoured. At that point I was so late for my appointment even though I left 20m early.

I looked back and Isabel was sleeping soundly as I navigated the icy, snow roads. I had a moment of 'ah ha' what the heck am I doing? I forced myself to go out in bad weather and my precious baby is in the back. I know she was fine but she is precious cargo.

The roads going back were better and I managed to make it home and was never more happy. She snoozed the whole way and I took her out of the car and took her in.

From now on I am not going out if the weather is bad, I don't want to risk it! Call me a wimp if you want but thats my decision!

3 comments:

nysoonergirl said...

I don't think you're wimpy at all! Most people up here (I'm in Upstate NY) think that because they're used to it that they're experts. They're not. They're the ones in the ditch as I slowly creep by. I can only imagine I'll be even more careful once I'm a parent too!

Veggie Girl and Family said...

Thank you NY! I am glad I'm not considered wimpy to you :) Yea I don't get the crazies that fly by!

Jolene said...

I don't blame you at all sis! I am glad you turned around! Precious cargo indeed :) You too!