Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 3, 2011

Adventures in Breastfeeding

Its funny how everyone has an opinion about breastfeeding. If I were to poll my non-mom friends I would get a 50/50 split for and against.

Of course this is an intensely personal decision and I would never judge someone for not breastfeeding.

Here are the pros and cons I have heard regarding breastfeeding:
Pros: Its free, boosts immunity for the baby, breast milk is easier to digest, increases mother-child bond, no muss or fuss with bottles
Cons: Learning curve is steep for mom and baby, time consuming (2-3 hrs. between feedings), father doesn't get to feed the baby (its less convient), breasts won't be considered sexually desirable anymore, might be embarrassing to feed in public or in front of family

So, why am I for it?

Looking back, I always planned to breastfeed (my mentality was 'if I am going to lug these girls around for all my life might as well use them!")and I think it was partly because my mom didn't get a chance to with the three of us. We were premature and hospitalized for a long time so it just wasn't an option for her and there were three of us. I know its possible to nurse multiples but woah! I can't say for sure if we were sick alot as kids because of the lack of colostrum but we were sick alot growing up.



When I found out I was pregnant with Isabel it wasn't even a question that I wanted to do it. Everyone told me it was hard and many of my friends didn't stick with it, some had latching issues, others couldn't keep up with demand or didn't want to, some did it for the first few weeks for the colostrum but switched because they were going back to work and formula just fit better. My breastfeeding friends were encouraging but still said it was hard.

When the weeks were ticking down and I was about to deliver Isabel it was then I was really contemplating what it would be like to breastfeed. My hospital's breastfeeding class was fascinating. I learned the biology behind it in greater depth (good for me of course ;) But, I was skepitical of how much I would remember from a class and how it would actually play out, though I felt energized after taking that class (so did J, he said it was more interesting than our birthing class and not because breasts were show in the power point!)

But I was nervous, would I have enough milk? Would it hurt? Could I do it? What did it mean when my friends said it was hard? Would I be embarrassed? Was it only for hippy earthy crunchy types? Was I going to come off as one of those types now? Would I be judged? What if I could do it but didn't like it?

I remember my first encounter with the lactation consultant after Isabel was born and saying to her (Heather) that I really wanted to do this more than anything. Isabel had a great latch from the get go. My problem? My milk was slow to come in (it was because of the brewing infection I am sure) and she had 0 patience! She would go from 0 to 60 in no time and if she couldn't get milk she was MAD!!! Like woah!

My saving grace were the kind nurses that brought a dose of reality and several kind lactation consultants. Heather was so compassionate, Jolene was so knowledgable and gave me the impression she had seen it all and Cathy encouraged me to keep trying. Due to my long hospital stay I got to know them all well and though I never wanted to give up, my body was fighting the infection and sometimes I had to supplement with formula. Of course I used the pump and put her to breast as much as I could but really it was a balancing act.

Even once I came home, it was still tough. In the hospital I had tons of support from lactation, helping her latch and giving me tips (even if sometimes the advice conflicted I picked and chose as I saw fit). The benefit of being home was the lack of interuptions and semblance of normalcy. But, it was harder to juggle, position, support and pump all the while trying to keep the baby from screaming her head off!

So that was the first few weeks and I would say they were tough as far as the breastfeeding but each day it got easier. I wouldn't say its a breeze now because there are still times where I feel like thats all we do in a day. I am thankful however for a great breastfeeding support group in which I have a cohort of mamas all going through this for the first time. We hang out after for lunch or tackle the mall on occassion. Its great to share the challenges and tips on how we are making it work.

Some have called me a saint for breastfeeding Isabel through it all. A super Mom. To that I smile but remind them that it was an intensely gratifying experience and it gave me something positive to focus on when everything else felt so difficult. I am sharing a special bond with her that I am not sure I would have gotten if I only bottle fed. I love watching her little jaw move back and forth as she nurses and the little sounds she makes and how she calms in my arms when she is completely satisfied and satieated. I am amazed at her health even when I am sick, she is fine. For that, I am so greatful. The other long term benefit I hope for for her is better weight in the future. They have found correlations that breastfed babies tend to have healthier body weights later on.

I don't think I am extraordinary for breastfeeding or better than anyone that formula feeds, I am however greatful for the experience of breastfeeding and am enjoying the adventure.

I have to say that since I have been breastfeeding I made a few observations:
1. All inhibitions about bearing onces breasts are lost during the breastfeeding process
2. The first time you pump it will feel awkard and strange but amazed to see milk coming out
3. Breastfeeding is physically demanding thus, you will be hungry but at least for me not gain weight
4. Breastfeeding in public isn't so bad if you have an 'udder cover' thank you Katie (even did that at Christmas gatherings and didn't miss anything by going to another room)
5. You will be questioned by well meaning family if she is getting enough because she feeds more often than a formula fed baby
6. Comments from family have included: that I will be tied to her if I bf, taking away the fun of feeding her from J, I am spoiling her by bf'ing her
7. I am actually surprised most by the response of my male friends/co workers. They have asked most often if I could breastfeed in spite of the meds and being sick (interesting I think)
8. It is totally true that the more fluids you drink the more milk you'll make!

Everyday does feel like an adventure, its unpredictable but exciting too. I am enjoying this journey.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Jen, I think it's great that you stuck with the breastfeeding despite your terrible infection! Most people probably would have just stopped and went right to formula if that had happened to them! I breastfed all 3 of my kids (and am still pumping for Connor!) and am so glad I did!!! It's not easy at all but so great for them!

squashgirlphd said...

Thank you Kelly! You are amazing too! Three kids and they are all so precious! Its not easy but really rewarding isn't it?!