Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Books and Music

Monday my mom (as well as my sister Jess and BIL Scott) came up to visit on MLK holiday and started an online library for Isabel. It will help me keep track of the books she has and the ones we want. It will make it easier for family to buy her books too because they can access it online.

It was such a sweet idea and I really appreciate that my family and J's value reading so much! Even though Isabel is little, I make it a point to read to her as much as I can. Sometimes we will do Pat the Bunny or Good night Moon, all the classics of course. Other times, we will do something longer like Make way for ducklings.

Whatever we read, it brings me back to when I was read to, knowing all the lines and just were the pauses were when the pages were turned.

Who read to me?
My mom (I remember a story about Grover getting stuck in the book) and my Gram (she read lots to us and I can't wait till she does it for Isabel, there is just something comforting about her voice) and the other night my dad reminded me that he read to us too. My grampy would read sometimes but for the most part he made up a story for us when he was babysitting. He would have us pick a noun, verb and adjective and he would create a story. We (my sisters and I) LOVED that, it sharpened our grammar skills and it was very exciting to hear our word woven into the story.

Who reads to Isabel?
Me of course, even if its the label on the ketchup bottle, I feel words (any kind are good for her to hear). J, does and it is so sweet! My family will I am sure when she is older. Right now they are savoring the snuggles from naps, like Monday when my sis and BIL were up, I just love that they get that time with her and hope my other sis will get that time soon!

My SIL and MIL created the recordable Hallmark books which are awesome and they have a little personal message to her on there too at the end which makes me tear up. Just hearing the love in their voices really gets me.

Today, Isabel and I went to Kindermusik. At first I thought, a class for babies I am going to pay for is it worth it? Incredulous, I went anyway. I went with three of my wonderful mommy friends and their sons. I really cherish this group of friends, they all have babies Isabel's age and we just have a great time together.

The class is small but managable, its unfortunately during Isabel's usual morning nap time but she did well. We sang, danced and tapped to the beat. I think she liked it. I tend to sing and dance with her alot so this music will hopefully add to our repitor.

I am not saying Isabel is cultured, but I think J and I really value reading and music as a way to express ourselves and learn. Yes, she is just 4 months but she is already so expressive and interested in the world around her.

What a joy it is to watch her grow. I really marvel everyday at how she makes connections and discovers new things. Its the most rewarding feeling and I can't imagine life any other way!

1 comment:

Jolene said...

awww!! SO CUTE! Reading the ketchup bottle, that's awesome ;-)