Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Isabel's babysitter Day 1

Our babysitter who I will refer to as Nurse J rocks! She came right on time and talked right to Isabel and put her at ease as we were preparing for J to go to work.

I showed her where her bottles were, clothes, diapers and her little swimming pool. I didn't want to be that annoying mom that shadows her sitter all day so I just showed her the basics and let go.

She has the experience I can tell and the confidence to ask where things are and such so I felt good about this tactic.

It was ther right one.

I could hear them playing down stairs and her singing songs to her and Isabels' shrieks of joy. I know she had a poopy diaper and Isabel does the 'alligator death roll' for me but somehow Nurse J got it under control and changed the diaper...gold star!

I really wanted Isabel to nap when Nurse J was getting there so I could show her around and Isabel could nap with me putting her down.

It didn't happen that way. About 45m into it she was tired and Nurse J knew it. She tried rocking and giving her a bottle. I was in the office and she was in our room with the A/C on but I could hear Isabel wailing.

Poor babysitter.

After about 15m I gave in and went to see if maybe a stroller ride might work better. I felt terrible making her go out in this heat but she went and with a chipper attitude.

I could tell that a crying baby didn't rattle her. Not in the 'I don't care about your kid even when she's crying' way but more the 'babies cry and I will care for her right through it'.

I can't say I wasn't biting my nails during their stroller walk. It took alot to sit in the office. I wanted to run out there and walk too. I did go down twice and let the dogs out and peaked down the road to see if they were coming back.

Bad, I know.

The second time she was on her way back.

I was worried about Isabel seeing me and so I tried to stay out of sight. At the same time the times she did see me she was OK.

Nurse J said by the end Isabel was reaching out to her.

It was a relief that Isabel adapted and that we got the right baby sitter.

I have to say I would be a terrible boss. I made her lunch when Isabel had lunch and ate with them. I would pay her a million bucks an hour if we could afford it.

I guess I know the other side of baby sitting better and I want to make Nurse J feel comfortable and appreciated.

It was weird having the sitter here and the sitter not be me. I have taken care of so many kids in my life and it was weird to be the one kissing my husband good by with the sitter in the background playing with my baby.

I'll take it. As long as we can afford it.

I did make progress and am still working because Isabel conked out after Nurse J left.

Awesome!!

2 comments:

Jess said...

YAY sis!! That is a huge step for you and for Isabel!! I'm so proud of you both. Sounds like Nurse J is a keeper, yay!!!

Jolene said...

seeeee!!! I knew it. I am so glad it worked out despite you worrying about her while she cried. She is a smart cookie (mmm cookies lol) and she adapts. I bet it was a relief that it did work out and that you got work done to boot :) XO