Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, July 11, 2011

Babysitters, Puppies and Babies....well just mine!

So to end the saga of the babysitter search:
I interviewed 3 girls in all and talked with 5.
#1.The first girl is a student and interning and babysitting. She seemed bright and responsible despite the directions mix up but not really into babies. Didn't really interact with Isabel or even ask to hold her or play on the floor with her. She turned it down to babysit of 7 year old, fine with me because a 9 month old is a totally different story and she seemed a bit overcommitted!

#2.The second girl was is a recent grad in history, piecing together summer work. 15 minutes late, didn't call, didn't interact alot with Isabel, kind of had a flat personality and seemed disengaged. The only question she asked was if Isabel had any food allergies...weird? It wasn't clear to me why she liked babysitting and she didn't even ask the pay scale so it clearly didn't seem about the money either. Weird. Her other job sounded alittle sketchy because she had said that family 'didn't need her as much'. That may have been true but to me that's 'mom speak' for its not working out. I have been a nanny and babysitter for years and if I heard that I would know thats what was meant. I asked for her reference and she said she would have to email it to me. She was in and out in 15m flat. I didn't have a great feeling about her, but she had alot of availability. I was hoping that the third girl would be a better fit.

#3. We chatted on the phone after one email, she sounded great on the phone...is that possible? Mature, enthusiastic and a pro...I could just tell. She came in the morning, 10 minutes early!! LOVE!! Not only punctual but early....wahoo! Isabel was still sleeping so I chatted with her and loved her, she reminded me of ME. Good thing? I think so ;) She recently graduated with a nursing degree and is looking to move to FL and go to school to become a midwife....seriously this could have been me if I didn't purse biology/horticulure! She has babysat babies, recently a family with two toddlers and twin 9 months olds...WOAH! She also worked at a day care in the baby/toddler room. Awesome! When Isabel woke up she was all smiles for her, a bit shy but opened up quickly. They played on the floor and Isabel LOVED it. I even walked away and took a phone call and they just played, not a peep from Isabel. She was great with our dogs and flexible with the days/times. I hired her on the spot. I just felt good about this. I am already bummed she is moving soon and she hasn't even started. Weird? Kinda but she starts tomorrow.

#4. The last option was taking her to a babysitter that watches other kids in her home. She was recommended by my therapist. She may have been great but basically when we talked on the phone she made me feel like if my baby was needy, fussy, moody or basically Isabel she didn't want her. She did make a good point that it can disrupt the flow because she wouldn't be there all day every day. Fine. But she said she wouldn't cuddle her to sleep and that killed me. I know its a reality and she might adjust but seriously, how can I leave her when I know that will be torture? She wasn't less $/hr or day and she wasn't lisenced. So, I decided against this option but day care isn't out of the question someday.

I am however in a word NERVOUS.

Isabel can be finicky, not sleep well and want her mama. How is it going to work with me at home and her playing with someone else? I am not sure. I feel like it will be best for me to be out of sight but in ear shot well everywhere in my house is. So once she gets used to her then I will go to UNH and work.

I think she will be dependable but she isn't going to be with us for a long time and like any babysitter things can change, fast.

I am concerned about the $ since I have to pay her when I am not getting paid myself. J and I had a conversation about this last night and something is likely to change in the next few months. Ugh. I hate it all. The thought of leaving her at daycare kills me. I can just imagine her cry cry cying because she needs cuddling at naps.

At the same time we don't have an unlimited budget. I am getting worn out by being Isabel's main caretaker and I am not getting alot of work done on my dissertation.

To add to this, Liam had another 2 more quills removed Friday. So I am on puppy watch making sure he doesn't take them out so I am home all day with a baby and two dogs. No pool, no beach no errands. Its frustrating. I do feel like I need to add that beach, pool or anything in the summer is great but with a baby, its not super relaxing but good for her to get out and about.

So, I am up in the air as to what is next. I don't want to leave my baby but in reality I have been so fortunate to be with her this long. I would be ok with leaving her here and there if I felt like she would adjust well but I know her personality and its going to be a big adjustment for her.

So the babysitter started tomorrow, we shal see how it goes...I think its going to go well.

No comments: