Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Planting with purpose

Following my announcement that I had loss Nonna, I was overwhelmed with support from family and friends, some that knew and some that did not. It was such a nice feeling. I was absolutely dreading Friday, the day of her services, I was asked to do a scripture reading and read part of the eulogy, taken from mine and my sister's blogs.


The wake was harder than I thought, seeing her lying there, but comforting at the same time because I got to say goodbye. She was buried in the dress she wore at my wedding which was special and all the cards and letters she had recieved were in her casket.


The service itself was just beautiful, with all the hymns she loved and the priest had many comforting and wonderful things to say. I cried, but everyone cried and some I think just cried with me and that was comfort. I got through my readings and eulogy and felt that I had honored her in the best way I could. My mother in law, sister and friend came which was touching too. Way to be there for me.


At the burial Josh had a great idea, we noticed that there were many folks out that day planting flowers, watering and carrying for the other plots, I imagine for Memorial Day. He said we should plant some basil by her headstone. I am going to do that for sure!


I felt drained and sad from the days events and thought sleeping on it would help. In fact not, I feel worse today. I guess the services really made it all real and now I am trying to get through the day by just thinking about good memories and realizing that she would not want me to be sad forever.


So today, I carried on painting the house. Not as fun as I had hoped because my dad should have been up this weekend. Ah well, I know he will come when he is ready.


I also started planting in the vegetable garden. I need some lime but other than that the beds are there and the plants I started with my class that I taught were ready.


So, I have 8 10ftx3ft beds. I planted 1 bed of eggplant 'Caliope', peppers 'Hungarian wax', 2 beds of Tomatoes, 'Big boy', 'Yellow pear', 'San Marzano' and 'Baby grape', 1 bed of yellow squash, zucchini, pumpkin' Connecticut', and spaghetti squash. Around the perimeter I put in zinnias, sunflowers and morning glories.


On the outside of the fence will be more pumpkins. I haven't found a good place for the basil or sweet peas I have germinated on the window sill but I am sure I will find room!


I feel like this garden will be a memorial to my Nonna who also loved gardening and I will always have her in my heart and feel close to her when I am gardening.

1 comment:

jolene1079 said...

Aw, I really like this post. Can't believe it will be a month tomorrow...I think of her everyday and pray every night for her. XOXO sister.