Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 2, 2009

What a beautiful spring day

As a New Englander, I feel it is my right to complain about the weather/climate from time to time. I find myself bringing it up on occassion with neighbors, friends and co-workers and we all commiserate. Over the years I have come to expect spring to be a wash, filled with cool rainy, dreary sunless days from the melting of snow in March until Memorial Day. I have to say that this year I am pleasantly surprised, things started warming up mid March for a change and it has been very dry... almost too dry (but I am not complaining yet)

This stretch of warm, sunny dry weather has helped us get ahead in the yard for once. The yard is raked, bushes pruned, flower garden weeded, iris and dahlias planted and the narcissus and azaleas are blooming! We even took down 3 trees in preparation for a new vegetable garden out friend.

We lost 3 trees in the ice storm so it seemed like the right time to thin some trees and start a vegetable garden. Right now the yard looks a bit bare but much has changed as of today.

Since the ice storm we have had an unsightly pile of tree debris piled high and we added to it in March when we cleared for the vegetable garden. Today, Josh and my FIL rented a chipper and together we chipped the entire pile....in what felt like record time 9-noon and we were done. I am so thankful that I have a wonderfully ambitious husband and a FIL who gives generously of his weekend time to help us improve our home.

After we chipped we... actually Josh and FIL removed 3 like 300lb stones from the soon to be vegetable garden, while I weeded out the area of dandilions and lily of the valley. There is a 6 yard pile of loam waiting for me to spread it. Just felt like a monumental task... so I am saving it for tomorrow. The picture with the shed is the site of our soon-to-be vegetable garden and the other picture is of the same spot last spring with the trees.

Tonight, I will dream and drool over seed catalogues and make my plans for the garden. I have promised myself that I will grow whatever FIL likes for vegetables as some small way to thank him!














All I can say is that I am thankful for spring and the time to enjoy the season which always feels too short!

No comments: