Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Embracing the new

This is week two of me staying home with Isabel.  I will be honest and say that last week was a bit of an adjustment to being back home all day, every day with my sweet girl.  She is developing into a very independent lovable, albeit opinionated toddler.  Several of the days it rained which made the days feel very long, however with the good weather and more fun activities including a trip to pick strawberries with friends and a visit to Maine, it is all turning around.  Most days I can't imagine spending a minute without her.

However, I feel like she is growing up and developing a sense of self and is less dependent on me. All good things.

So, I have decided to try some some new things this summer.

First, I am transitioning Isabel to sleeping in her room all night.  For now, she starts the night in her own room and we leave our door open (our rooms connect) and when she can't sleep she comes and snuggles with me.  Its a good compromise for now.

Second, I am embracing changing my food habits. I am tracking my food and eating lower carb. I am breaking out of the food rut.  I don't want to be that mom that finishes her kids' chicken nuggets or last sip of juice.  So I have embarked on a South Beachy approach that keeps me from doing that. It is so hard not to cheat but I am finding ways to make it enjoyable.

Today is a good example. I whipped up garlic and tomato shrimp with a salad while Isabel naps.  It made me feel special and decadent and it was ridiculously satisfying.

Lastly, I am going to embrace the moment. I have finished my dissertation and now I can really enjoy my days with Isabel. She doesn't nap 'on time' or stays up late or sleeps in? No problem. I can go with the flow more now.

Ah summer, I embrace you too!

2 comments:

Jess said...

I am so proud of you sis, just like you are of Isabel - while she evolves and grows and matures, YOU are evolving as a mom and as an independent woman too, it's so awesome to see you two moving into this phase together. I love it. And LOVE how the munchkin's personality is developing more and more by the day. SO CUTE!!

Jolene said...

I too LOVE this. Of course. I love that you are recognizing this as an opportunity, to change along with her and to find little things to enjoy each day, in addition to Isabel blossoming and enjoying your time together, so it feels less monotonous and more enjoyable more of the time. And love her much she is growing into such a sweet independent girl :)