Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 14, 2011

I witnessed DETERMINATION today


Today, both of my sisters ran a half marathon, this is the second one they ran in a year. I wanted to be there to cheer them on the first time but couldn't because that was the day I was admitted back to the hospital with my c-section infection.

Fast forward to today.

They didn't expect me to come because it was early in the morning and a long drive for me. I was already planning to be in the area for birthday party so I tried to make it.

As I zoomed down the highway I was getting play by play from mom.

I was so excited to be there and celebrate their big accomplishment. Its been a fews weeks since Isabel saw her aunties and I wanted to surprise them.

I had heard that Jess and Scott had finished and had a good run. I knew Jolene had struggled and was feeling defeated.

I knew how much this half marathon meant to both of them.

Especially Jolene.

I knew she was upset before I got there but when I saw her I saw determination. I felt it. Her legs were goosebumpy and she was weary but she was still strong. She probably didn't think she looked it but I could see it.

I was proud despite her feelings of despair.

I was in awe of her and that she finished a 13.1 mile run despite difficulties breathing and the humidity.

I can only imagine how hard it was.

I have sports induced asthma and I could relate to how she described how she was feeling.

I know I would struggle if I had to do that run. There's a reason why I don't run. I don't think I can do it. I mean I know I could but I haven't yet.

I wish I was as committed as her. I know running doesn't come easy to her and yet she conquered it. She stayed dedicated and determined.

What I love is that Isabel was there and we took some pictures and we can tell her how strong and determined her two aunties are and that even when something is hard she can conquer it like her auntie did.

I also loved while we there there that Scott, his sister Lisa and Miguel and my dad and Darlene were there too. It was an improntu family get together. Made it feel special. The extra sweet part? Miguel 'lent' Isabel his medal....awwwww. She chewed it with pleasure!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Aw sis, I love this. I was SO excited to see you there after not really expecting you to be there, it was the perfect ending to the race. I can't wait to share more of these memories with the little one, she was SO CUTE with that medal!! LOVE HER! And you. You're the best sis. Truly. xoxo

Jolene said...

Sis, you made me cry with your words and your pride. I needed that today, I needed to feel proud, and you made me feel just a little bit better about yesterday. a LOT better. I was so touched that you came and surprised us, and thinking back to last year when we ran a half, and you were in the hospital, it was such a blessing to witness this year together, despite it all. Love you sis, thank you for reminding me that I should be proud.