Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Academic Scientist in the Summer

I have to say its a struggle sometimes as a scientist and an academic. Yes, I am an adult and am used to working year round but the pace slows to a dull roar in the summer time. This is a good thing because during the school year everything is so busy I feel I never even have a second to breathe.

However, the slower summer pace is sometimes daunting too. I enjoy being busy (not to the point of craziness but a good pace). In the summer its hard to maintain a good pace. The rest of the faculty, staff and students scatter to do their summer research or take vacations.

Usually, as a PhD. I am in the field from the end of May until the end of June on a daily basis. In July and August I would work 1/2 days in the field and the rest of the day in the lab analyzing samples and thats a good mix for me.

This summer, I was at a meeting at the end of May and in June I was in the lab full time. Yes, its where I need to be to be able to finish my lab analysis. But I am not loving it. I miss my field work. I should say why I am not in the field. Other than being pregnant, my field work is complete.

So, each day I roll out of bed and into 'lab appropriate' clothes (closed toed shoes and sensible clothes that could get dirty) and there I will send 8hrs alone working. Any other scientist might love this but I am more social than most scientists I think.

I take breaks and pretty much talk to anyone else thats around (hopefully I am not annoying them) but it breaks up the day. Once in a while I will get a visitor which is nice.

But, this raises some questions:
Will I hate summer research and not productive when I am doing my own research?
Is my lack of enthusiasm due to my desire to finish and just be done?
How will I find a balance to get through this summer?

I know from the past that in the summers where my days have been busy I have felt happier and more productive. I also think that its the point I am at in my research/PhD. that is causing me to feel fatigued. And I think in the future I will be careful to pick research that I will enjoy that hopefully has a field component!

***********************
In other news, I passed my GD test conditionally. I am glucose intolerant and need to be monitored but I don't have GD. So phew!! Baby N is going well, has the hiccupps :)

No comments: