Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 29, 2011

VBAC, I would consider it

Amazingly,7 out of 10 of my friends have had c-sections within the last year. Thats not including me.

I guess given what I went through during my c-section I would like to avoid another c-section and the risk it could happen again.

I am not saying I would risk my baby's health just so I could have a simpler delivery, no way.

But I guess I have been thinking alot about it lately. Actually, the events around Isabel's birth keep coming back to me in the last few days.

It could be because my last 3 friends that had babies delivered via c-section and knowing what I know now about the risks, I am concerned for them and their recovery.

Its not like they are handing out c-sections like its the soup du jour. Nor do I think it reflects on the mama delivering (they are a mama no matter how the baby is born in my book). I think today, there is alot more doctors know about the baby's health leading up to delivery and there is less chance of risk to the baby during delivery because c-sections can be done.

In the end its about their health as much as the mom's. Its nice to think that all births end in a vaginal delivery and yet no matter how hard all 7 of us tried it just wasn't going to happen. Does that mean in the 'olden days' these babies/mommas would have died in childbirth?

Possibly...scary thought.

Are doctors more like to take the c-section risk over the loss of baby and a law suit

Definetly.

Replaying the events in my head, I would lying if I didn't feel alot of 'if onlys'. Like if only I didn't get chorioamnitis when I was in labor or 'if only I waited in the epidural so I could stand up and make her descend faster' or 'if only I pushed harder in the 25m they gave me (now I know its a dream to think I would have pushed her out sunny side up and all but still).

Is it worth looking back and wishing it were different? Probably not.

Why does my brain keep replaying my experience even when the c-sections aren't happening to me?

I have been told its because my subconscience doesn't know fact from fiction and thinks its still happening to me.

Ugh, I say, Ugh.

I feel like if I could have a second baby, a v-bac would be my first choice. However, I know even if I want to have it, it may not work a second time.

Isabel was sunny side up so even if I didn't have the infection she was getting stuck on my pelvis. Also, she wasn't huge (8lbs) but if she were smaller she may have fit through faster...who knows.

I am a candidate at my hospital if there is at least 9mo. between births (there definelty will be because I am not pregnant now ;)

I mean it would be harder if I went through labor and still had a c-section like with Isabel but at least I would get the chance to try it again without the infection(s).

I guess it helps to know I have options at least.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was obviously a very interesting post to me at this point in my life ;-)... I really struggled with my c-section (and didn't have half of the problems that you had), but I have had to let it go. I know that, under our particular circumstances, I did everything that I could and that at the end of the day, a c-section was the best decision for me and my little boy. I think it's really important to consider all options and to know the very real risks of a c-section...but you also need to be able to let go of the guilt. I truly believe that doctors are keeping moms and babies more healthy through c-sections, not just trying to avoid "issues." If you and I are lucky enough to have babies #2, I am keeping my fingers crossed that we're also lucky enough to have really easy vaginal deliveries...but if not, that's okay too!

Jolene said...

After just reading lifebytheday's blog, reading yours was such a weird coincidence! (and I totally agree with her, even though I clearly have not been through this!!). And is it weird that I had to look up VBAC? ;-) XOXO sis.

Veggie Girl and Family said...

Hey Life, I know we are on the same page about struggling with having a c/s at all but I feel like in the end we got the greatest gift right? I hope you are recovering quickly! You did a great job mama!

Jo, thank you sis for being there for me and hahahaha now you know what a vbac is, welcome to my world ;)