Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 6, 2011

Attitude

I say this all the time but its never more true than now that a good attitude is just as contagious as a bad attitude but MUCH harder to adopt.

In any social interaction whether its work, church, mom's groups, family its easy to get sucked into gossip, begrudging your s/o or husband, negative attitude about life and to be judgemental.

I struggle with all of this as I am a people pleaser. I find myself adopting an attitude similar to my peer group sometimes as a way to fit in. Terrible right? But I think we all do this to a degree to assimilate.

I think its the most challenging right now for me because I am out of my normal work life. Isabel is my job and (well my PhD. is too but I don't interact with people when I am writing ;) Anyway, when I get out and about with friends that are moms that's my social interaction on most days. Its a nice break and fun to spend time with familiar faces and watch our kids grow up. We share tips, woes and lots of fun with music group, story time, play dates, walks and even shopping trips to the mall.

However, I find myself adopting the moods of others, if one of us is having a bad day I find I start to get into a bad mood. I think its only natural especially because emotions are so tied to our sleep status...most of us run on E when it comes to sleep (we don't get alot). So, its easy for me to start complaining about Isabel's sleeplessness, J's job and how long his hours are and lack of fun me time. I should note I do this with family and church friends too.

Usually, this kind of stuff doesn't get to me, its part and parcel of being a mom and I signed on knowing the pros and the cons. Most of the time the pros way out weigh the cons and I can shrug this petty stuff off.

Lately, I have been challenging myself to be a good attitude friend, trying to see the positive in my friend's situations, be empathetic but not feed into negative talk. Its hard. There are days all I want to do is gripe, sometimes I do.

However, like my therapist has said with my PTSD when I get down: 'you can have a pity party every day if you want but parties have a start and end time so you must end your pity party and move on each day'. Good advice I think.

I have been applying this to my everyday life. Would I love to have a textbook easy baby? Maybe in some ways but I wouldn't trade Isabel for nights of sleep, fussiless days or anything else she does thats trying because she has an awesome personality, full of zest, curiousity and love. She can't help she is alittle more needy.

I have a great life, I get to raise my daughter with J, we have a terrific little family with the cats and dogs. We have a cute little house, lovely neighborhood and family that love us and Isabel.

This is what matters right?!

So let your attitude be positive, it rubs off! I feel like this a way I can let my Light shine through for Christ. He calls us to be a light not to be hidden:

Matthew 5:14-16“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

So if I can let my light shine through a positive attitude then I know my light is shining through for our Lord and I am choosing to be a good witness. I never really feel better when I succoumb to the griping. Never have. Actually I usually feel worse after and brood the rest of the day. It doesn't matter if its now or when I was working the effect was the same. So that's my challenge!

Adopt a good attitude and see how it changes you! And maybe others around you ;)

1 comment:

Jolene said...

This is awesome sis. Such a good way of looking at it and trying to keep a good attitude. of course, there are days where you just need to vent, let off steam, and then you feel better. But when it becomes the only thing you do, that's a problem! Not that you do that, but you know what I mean.